NinjaPigeon - My Flight to Financial Independence

Friday, March 09, 2007

Request by IRS

As I stated before, I used TurboTax to file my taxes this year. I sent everything off a few weeks ago and was pleased with how easy it was.

Well, I got a letter this week from the IRS. Apparently they want me to send proof that I had overpaid social security by $290. They have asked me to send back a copy of the letter they sent (they provided 2 copies) as well as copies of all my W2s. And they gave me exactly 20 days from the date of the letter to do so, which meant I had about 15 days.

I must admit this worried me a bit. I've never done my own taxes, and I was trusting TurboTax to do a good job. So, just to be safe, I created a new return and reentered just my W2 information in it. Sure enough, it still believes I overpaid by $290. So, I'm gonna assume it was right.

I mailed back the letter to the IRS along with my three W2s. I'm hoping this satisfies the IRS and they move on to bothering other people.


  • I'm assuming that each employer that you received a W-2 from is different. I'm also assuming that you are filing single or if married that none of the W-2s are your spouse's. If so, then you are probably right. Otherwise, you may have to request a refund of the overwithheld taxes from your employer. The rules can be tricky, but if you answered the TurboTax inteview questions correctly, then TurboTax will correctly figure out the right answer.

    Bob Meighan
    VP, TurboTax

    By Blogger Bob Meighan, at 3/12/2007 12:42 AM  

  • Oof, good luck with that!

    By Blogger Ms. MiniDucky, at 4/10/2007 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home