NinjaPigeon - My Flight to Financial Independence

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Back from the dead

Wow, can't believe how fast the last few months have gone by. I originally planned on taking only a slight hiatus from posting here, but it quickly grew into a 4 month lapse.

I'll confess my original reason for stopping posting was fear. You see, I'm ready to marry my girlfriend and bring her here to the States. So, I felt it was time to show her this journal. But then I freaked out. Do we have the same financial goals? Can I trust her not to wreak havoc on my future? Are we sure marriage is the right idea?

You see, to a lot of people, our fascination with saving for retirement when we are still in our 20s is crazy. The idea of living below your means or building an emergency fund does not make sense to them. And let's not even bring up the concept of App-o-ramas. Just mentioning the idea of rate chasing with online savings accounts is enough to send them running.

They are The Spenders. We are The Savers.

They laugh at us, make fun of us, even pity us sometimes. But why? Honestly, I'm not sure. I just know that for whatever reason, we are "different" than they are.

Now, my girlfriend knows I'm heavy into this kinda thing. I've admitted to her that I have a minimum amount I must save per year and I'm not willing to compromise that number no matter what. That number for me is about $15k. In fact, that number seems tiny to me! I wanna save MORE!

At first I believe she felt I was obsessed with money. It's weird. You hear obsessed with money and it sounds insulting. I always figured The Spenders just didn't comprehend the math behind compound interest. Maybe they think that finances are just too complicated and boring.

Personally, I think they are intimidated by money. And we can help them with that. But there is something of value they bring to the table too.

Balance.

That's one of the reasons I believe my girlfriend should be my wife. She keeps me grounded. She reminds me that sometimes, you gotta spend a little to keep things in perspective. That there is more to life than a balanced portfolio and saving 15% on your car insurance (yes, I have geico - and they totally saved me money).

And so, with those thoughts in mind, I have decided to pick up where I left off and start posting again. Hopefully you will start reading again. And maybe in the near future my lovely girlfriend will be able to post and give you her perspective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home