NinjaPigeon - My Flight to Financial Independence

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Pre-nups

So, in the first Festival of Under 30 Finances, Kira posted an entry about pre-nups. My girlfriend and I have talked about it in the past a little, but I decided to see how she stood last night.

Here are the highlights:

"i refuse to do a prenup"
"if you screw me over, im going to take all yer money! HA"

First line was her actual answer. The second one was her teasing me ;) Her take on it is if we don't have a pre-nup, I won't cheat on her. My take on it is that if we have a pre-nup, we're not serious about the marriage.

I should also point out that the theory that you're protecting your assets seems strange to me. If you are married, and your spouse has access to your money anyway, they could take it while you are married. Why would they wait? Even if they don't have access, what kind of man would I be if I didn't share my wealth with my wife? If she wants some new shoes and it's within my power to give them to her, why wouldn't I want to see her happy, assuming it doesn't compromise our financial future?

I can live with losing my money. I can't live with knowing I didn't love her more than that money.

3 Comments:

  • A prenup usually only covers personal assets you each had before the marriage. Money earned and things bought during the marriage generally belong to both parties and are not covered. While your sentiments about sharing are nice, you have to remember that prenups are there for if things go bad. When you get to the point of getting a divorce, you will likely no longer be in such a generous frame of mind.

    By Blogger Shaun, at 7/17/2006 1:12 PM  

  • I should also point out that her reasoning about you not cheating shows a lack of trust. She feels she needs a threat to stop you from cheating.

    By Blogger Shaun, at 7/17/2006 1:15 PM  

  • While jokes like that have sprung to mind, I try not to actually say them out loud - it kind of plants the seed of doubt, you know?

    Both my boyfriend and I are incredibly stubborn people, and while we generally work things out by using logic and facts instead of our emotions and feelings, those are unavoidable if things get bad.

    By Blogger Kira, at 7/17/2006 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home