NinjaPigeon - My Flight to Financial Independence

Sunday, January 08, 2006

2005 Year in Review

I've been really bad about updating for the last few months, but here is my net worth as of 12/31/05. As you can tell by looking at this entry, I missed my goal by about $2300. Also, you'll notice that my money ended up allocated a little differently than I originally planned.

I ended up putting $2k more in my 401k than I originally planned, and saw a small return on my Scottrade account and Roth IRA. However, I was not able to put as much into my savings as I liked. Several reasons contributed to this, but the big ones were spending $4.5k on a new laptop for myself and a new desktop for my GF. Also, my budget for my winter vacation was $2k but I ended up spending almost $3k. Luckily most of these expenses were offset by a consulting project I did.

Despite the miss of my my goal for the year, I was able to increase my net worth by $26k in 2005, which is a very big gain for me. Remember that I was only making $43.5k and living almost check to check as of 11/2003. So the new job really made all this possible.



¹Denotes a temporary balance earmarked for a specific purpose. This balance is not included in Net Worth.

As for other points of interest for 2005, the big one was that I now remember how expensive being in a relationship can be. While I tend to be pretty good about controlling spending on myself, I must confess I have a terrible time controlling how much I spend on my GF. However, it has been an incredible experience and I am determined not to let my frugality (read: cheapness) become a burden on our happiness! She truly is the most important thing in my life, and I would happily give up everything I've accrued to make her dreams become a reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home