NinjaPigeon - My Flight to Financial Independence

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Unthinkable!

Something crazy happened today. Something that I never thought could happen. Yes, I have finally run out of checks for the account I opened in 1996!!!

Now, to be fair, they gave me an initial batch of probably 200 checks. And then at some point, they randomly gave me another batch without my asking. Which, given my habit of writing only 1 or 2 checks a month, seems like it'd last an eternity.

Alas, the fountain hath dried up. I have to bite the bullet tomorrow and call the bank to order checks. Hopefully they have a reasonable price. Either way, I have a plan.

See, about two months ago, I noticed a random $20 charge against my account labeled "safety deposit fee". Interesting, given that I don't even have a safety deposit box. Turns out, they billed my account for my mother's safety deposit box.

The reason for that is because since I went away to college, my mom needed a way to easily transfer money to me. That way was the very checking account I still use today. And she is still listed on the account today as a joint owner.

Now, you might ask why I felt this was important enough to share with you. Well, the reason is because my mother is a senior citizen. She gets free checks for all her other accounts. So, while my account is a different type of account, it may be possible for me to get some free checks. I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high, but it's worth a shot!

5 Comments:

  • haha, that's great! I have never kept a bank account long enough to run out of checks, but like you I usually only write one or two a month. Some accounts didn't even make it past the first book...

    By Blogger Kira, at 8/17/2006 12:13 AM  

  • You should definitely try ordering through a discounter though, if you really end up having to buy checks because normal banks charge far too much for a box of checks.

    By Blogger Revanche, at 8/17/2006 3:06 PM  

  • I ran out of checks and did not even bother to buy another batch. I hardly have the need to write checks anymore.

    By Blogger Tired of being broke, at 8/18/2006 6:20 PM  

  • Doh, didn't know I could order through a discounter. I just paid $16 for my new checks. Oh well :)

    By Blogger NinjaPigeon, at 8/18/2006 8:47 PM  

  • Oh well, you may not even need checks again by the time you run out of THESE checks in say, 2017? :)

    By Blogger Revanche, at 8/22/2006 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home